Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Calvin's birth story

 So I ended up having contractions on Saturday night the 15th that were 5 mins apart so we headed to the hospital. I was dilated to 1 and 1/2 and so my doc said it was ok to go ahead and we could stay and start the induction that night. I got the cytotec that night and so I just slept so I could have plenty of rest for the next day. The next morning I got the epidural at 10 30 am and started the pitocin right afterwards. By 2:30 pm I was dilated to a 3 and the doc broke my water hoping it would move things along. By that evening i was maybe to a 4 plus. Around 2 am the baby heart rate started dropping after contractions so they lowered my pitocin but then my blood pressure started dropping too because i had a contraction that would not stop.They had to completely turn off the pitocin. It was so close to the point that they were about to give me a shot to stop all the contractions. But luckily they were able to get it to be stopped. So i was off the pitocin for about 2 and 1/2 hours. At that point i was a 6. We talked to the doc during that time and he felt it was best to start it back at 4:30 and then he would check me when he came into the hospital that morning. Before we started the pitocin again at 4:30 i was a 7 plus. When he got there around 8ish i was still a 7 plus. And the baby was face down so they thought if they could get him to be face up that would help dilate me faster and so they put me in some interesting positions to try to get him to move. At 10:30 am the doc came in and I was still a 7 plus and had not progressed in 6 hours. The doc said that baby was not going to be coming naturally and we needed to have a c section. So 22 hours later of active labor we headed to the OR and Calvin was born at 12:36 pm Feb 17th.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing your birth stories. I love hearing everyone's stories. I had a to have a c-section with my 4th. I know it's hard to recover, but it all works either way. I love seeing the pics of Calvin. Such a cutie!